Xiaomi Pocophone F1 review: Performance and battery life. Qualcomm’s flagship mobile processor, the octa-core 2.8GHz Snapdragon 845, takes center stage. This is the same chip used in most of 2018’s pricey flagships and, with 6GB of RAM at its disposal, you can expect very similar benchmark results. …
Xiaomi Pocophone F1 review – Full Specification
The feeling of deja-vu aside, OnePlus has proven to mostly stand up to its promises through the years and we’re yet to see how Poco will fare.
Xiaomi really likes the meaning of small embedded within its names – Xiaomi or Mi written in Chinese means millet – little rice, while Pocophone in Spanish means little phone. Because they start small and dream big. And it does ring nicely with the Poco launch.
Anyway, the Pocophone F1 is not just big promises and polished PR. Just on the contrary – looking at its specs sheet it may have enough power to redefine the whole concept of mid-range and flagship segments. But only if this strategy keeps it going forward at least another generation or two.
The Pocophone F1 comes with a bezel-less screen and a notch. The notch here accommodates an infrared camera and an IR illuminator for face unlock, and there is also a 20MP selfie snapper. In charge of processing is Qualcomm’s most powerful chipset – the Snapdragon 845 – enhanced with liquid cooling. There is also a dual-camera on the back with large pixels and a bright lens, while the massive 4,000mAh battery should help power the whole thing for quite some time.
Xiaomi Pocophone F1 review
- Body: Plastic frame, Kevlar or Plastic back, Gorilla Glass front
- Display: 6.18″ IPS LCD, 2,246×1,080px resolution, 18.7:9 aspect ratio, 403ppi.
- Rear camera: Primary 12MP, Type 1/2.55″ sensor, 1.4µm pixel size, f/1.9 aperture, dual pixel PDAF; Secondary 5MP – serving as depth sensor. 2160p/30fps, 1080p/240fps slow motion.
- Front camera: 20MP, 0.9µm pixel size, f/2.0 aperture; 1080p/30fps video recording.
- OS: Android 8.1 Oreo; MIUI 9.5 for Poco custom overlay, MIUI 10 on the way.
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 845: octa-core CPU (4×2.8 GHz Kryo 385 Gold & 4×1.7 GHz Kryo 385 Silver), Adreno 630 GPU.
- Memory: 6/8GB of RAM; 64/128/256GB storage; (hybrid) microSD slot.
- Battery: 4,000mAh Li-Po; QuickCharge 3.0 fast charging.
- Connectivity: Dual-SIM; LTE-A, 4-Band carrier aggregation, Cat.16/13 (1Gbps/150Mbps); USB-C; Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac; dual-band GPS; Bluetooth 5.0; FM radio
- Misc: Rear-mounted fingerprint reader; stereo speakers; infrared face recognition; 3.5mm jack.
Xiaomi stressed the Pocophone brand will be operating independently, but you will be seeing the by Xiaomi inscription for some time, so the people can remember the sub-brand will be fully relying on the Xiaomi’s service network for support of any kind.
Xiaomi Pocophone F1 review – Full Tabular Specification Form
|NETWORK||Technology||GSM / HSPA / LTE|
|Status||Available. Released 2018, August|
|BODY||Dimensions||155.5 x 75.3 x 8.8 mm (6.12 x 2.96 x 0.35 in)|
|Weight||182 g (6.42 oz)|
|Build||Front glass, plastic body|
|SIM||Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)|
|DISPLAY||Type||IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors|
|Size||6.18 inches, 96.2 cm2 (~82.2% screen-to-body ratio)|
|Resolution||1080 x 2246 pixels, 18.7:9 ratio (~403 ppi density)|
|Protection||Corning Gorilla Glass (unspecified version)|
|– MIUI 10 (POCO customization)|
|PLATFORM||OS||Android 8.1 (Oreo), upgradable to Android 9.0 (Pie)|
|Chipset||Qualcomm SDM845 Snapdragon 845 (10 nm)|
|CPU||Octa-core (4×2.8 GHz Kryo 385 Gold & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 385 Silver)|
|MEMORY||Card slot||microSD, up to 256 GB (uses SIM 2 slot)|
|Internal||256 GB, 8 GB RAM or 64/128 GB, 6 GB RAM|
|MAIN CAMERA||Dual||12 MP, f/1.9, 1/2.55″, 1.4µm, dual pixel PDAF
5 MP, f/2.0, 1.12µm, depth sensor
|Features||Dual-LED flash, HDR, panorama|
|Video||[email protected], [email protected] (gyro-EIS), [email protected]|
|SELFIE CAMERA||Single||20 MP, f/2.0, 0.9µm|
|SOUND||Alert types||Vibration; MP3, WAV ringtones|
|Loudspeaker||Yes, with stereo speakers|
|– Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic|
|COMMS||WLAN||Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, hotspot|
|Bluetooth||5.0, A2DP, LE, aptX HD|
|GPS||Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS|
|Radio||FM radio, recording|
|USB||2.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go|
|Sensors||Infrared face recognition, fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass|
|Messaging||SMS(threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Email, IM|
|– Fast battery charging 9V/2A 18W (Quick Charge 3.0)
– MP4/DivX/XviD/WMV/H.265 player
– MP3/WAV/eAAC+/FLAC player
– Photo/video editor
– Document viewer
|BATTERY||Non-removable Li-Po 4000 mAh battery|
|MISC||Colors||Graphite Black, Steel Blue, Rosso Red, Armored Edition with Kevlar|
|Price||About 290 EUR|
|TESTS||Performance||Basemark OS II: 4034 / Basemark OS II 2.0: 3713
Basemark X: 43652
|Display||Contrast ratio: 1468:1 (nominal), 3.059 (sunlight)|
|Camera||Photo / Video|
|Loudspeaker||Voice 72dB / Noise 74dB / Ring 86dB|
|Audio quality||Noise -93.6dB / Crosstalk -93.8dB|
Endurance rating 94h